Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why Work?

I remember this anecdote which I read from a magazine, though I don’t remember from which that was, my memory has become older than my age… but the story goes this way:

An executive, quite successful in his profession met a car accident. Bewildered by the sight of himself reclining lifeless was approached by an angel and was asked to come with him. He obligingly acceded and was brought to a place were he was to stay.

The place seemed familiar and not different from the usual places that he visited when he was still alive. There were banquets with people, men and women, common in his life. There were much food and wine, and his time was spent in enjoyment and celebration. The same activities happened night after night for there was no day in that place, though there were plenty of electricity, and bonfires.

Nights passed after another until he finally got bored, he called for the angel that brought him to the place and demanded: “If you cannot give me something to work on here, I’d rather be in hell.” And the good angel responded: “That’s where you are!”

__________________________________

This reminded me of Mahatma Gandhi who points out that the state of indolence, though delightful, is very distressing. Man has to find something to put his hands on to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment